Friday, January 12, 2007

For a Penny Less

13 years back when I made my first passport I paid a fee of 100 Rupees, a bribe of 1500 rs at the passport office and a bakhshish of 300 rs to a policeman. As a result of which i was privileged to see my passport being "made" in front of me. A rare honour isnt it?I must say I got a huge return on the investment that I had made on my passport inlcuding a 6 year stay in England. That was bribe well spent:)After a three year lapse, I decided to renew my passport and keeping in mind the inflation, had set aside adequate amount to be spent under various heads. But this time the total cost has come down dramatically as has the time to get a passport. The break up is like this: Passport fee 1500 Rs, bribe at passport office, none, bakhshish to policeman, none. I actually spent less money 13 years later to get a new passport. Who says India is not developing?

No comments: