Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bundled Software

Do not be alarmed, I do not intend to take on Microsoft with this post. I simply like microsoft and think by and large they are doing a good job and given some time they will do better.
This is about a much simpler thing really. Not so simple! But what the heck!

I am an avid late night TV watcher (programmes are more interesting as you will soon see why, there are no sas bahu serials at that time [bahus have all gone to sleep by then to be up early morning to make parathans for their adoring and diamond ring giving husbands]; and more importantly this is my sleep replacement therapy and thought time.

Since a few nights I have been watching a TV channel called Zee Music. It is an entertainment channel (the other two genre of channels in India being News and Serials, there is no fourth type [not incuding "phoren channels such as Discovery and NatGeo]. Zee Music is a reasonably good channel for entertainement [Movie clips, reviews, songs, all administered by skimpily clad hostesses [although you have to bear with Komal Nahata from time to time].

It was not one of the songs or one of the pretty hostesses which attracted my attention. It was Malaika Arora that drew my attention. I am yet to meet a man whose attention she does not draw!. But it was not her that drew my attention, really [I swear, i am telling you the truth].

Between the numerous songs and dances, there is an interesting filler called "Eye Candy". And you guessed it, it a all about Ms Arora, displaying her wealth [these clips runs for a few minutes showing her in the bath tub, or frolicking around in hotpants etc] Damned good and certainly more than just eye balls for the channel.

But even this did not attract my attention {I again swear I am telling you the truth}

So what did? OK here it is. Eye Candy showing Malaika Arora in various stages of undress. These clips also have a sponsor: a popular cocunut hair oil. Interesting business model to get fillers too sponsored. But what is even more interesting is that the model for this hair oil [and no prizes for guessing] is Malaika Arora.

Here at last is a marketing head who thinks [aslo envisons]

My take: This is what I called bundled software! Bill Gates Take Note, please,

No comments: